PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PLEASE READ THIS AND HELP SAVE GA IN THE UK - Save the IMCR
Old 4th Dec 2007, 10:32
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bose

I know, I know .. .. ..

but you will recall saying this seven months ago:

The most significant recommendations are
A. Redesigning the PPL IR Theory syllabus so that it excludes material relevant to CPL, ATPL privileges and Type Rated aircraft and focuses only on knowledge relevant to IFR privileges
B. Removing the mandatory classroom attendance for the theory course
C. Making the exams available "on-demand" at 3rd party testing centres
D. Making the flight training more "competency-based" rather than requiring 50hrs for all candidates. Pure competency based training would not have any minimum training hrs. The recommendation is a hybrid, with 25hrs minimum consisting of the 10 hr Basic IF module already in place and a further 15hr Applied IF module. This is a major step forward from the current 50hrs. IMC holders may be able to get credit towards the 10hr Basic module

The main subject we have not made progress on is relaxing the requirement for all training to be at JAA Approved FTOs. This principle is deeply embedded in EASA and JAA thinking and it was considered futile at this point to try and push it forward.

The next steps are that a formal report will be finished and submitted to the Head of PLD ( the Personnel Licensing Dept of the CAA). A significant number of the recommendations should be within the discretion of the CAA, the remainder will be submitted as the UK position to EASA and EU-FCL.

I would be cautiously optimistic that something may happen in the next 6 months to implement some of these recommendaitons, but the outlook will not be clear until the CAA's PLD have reviewed the recommendations and decided how to act.

.. .. .. and what changes have there been?

Are you convinced that an accessible IR is likely and how do you define accessible?

Like it or not, it is my perception that private pilots are not prepared to pursue a course of theoretical training based on any other model than the FAA IR (or for that matter the IMCR - note my use of the words model).

If EASA continue to pursue this line I can tell you that the up take of IRs by private pilots will remain at almost zero. The number of N reg aircraft operating in Europe will continue to rise as will those pursuing the FAA IR route - perhaps until EASA then try and tackle N reg aircraft parked in member states. You have been warned that is the logical conclusion.

Europe will then be a dessert for private instrument flying (much as it is now) and our own little oasis will just become part of the same dessert.