PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish MD-83 Crash
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2007, 09:30
Mauersegler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non-pilot speaking...

I was also puzzled about the missing front fuselage. Seeing the Milliyet pictures (http://www.airdisaster.com/forums/sh...5&page=4&pp=25) it seems to me that
-due to the impact at the hill the rear fuselage got broken (this must be a very flat impact, the tail don't had a direct contact to the ground, like the wingbox-middle fuselage, so the forces are not distributed downwards in a large area but at the cross section of the fuselage where it goes upwards and thins, surely the same thing with the youtube video) maybe separating directly on the impact or a fraction of second later as
-the plane continues a ballistic trajectory (due to the very flat impact there was no big change of direction), but without the tail and engines it goes nose down, impacting where it comes to stop (I saw at Hurriyet www-site pictures of an engine, I don't know the position, but I think it should be near the tail)
-The front of the plane absorbed almost all of the energy as it failed/desintegrated (you can see debris scattered in a "star" display in the front of the "intact" section, also a big piece of fuselage near the left wing, showing the orange colored insulation).
-The mid section comes down "softly" because of this and maybe the wings. I think the damage was mostly due to the first impact on the hill. Also almost no slide.

In another matter, in a video there was a reporter lifting a piece of material to show it and let it fall again, how can this be possible?!!! I hope he was the only one doing that...