PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hour Building - South Africa??
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2007, 08:42
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mikehotel152

It would seem to me that your objective is not pure hours building.

It is a flying holiday in a more expencive aircraft that someone has convinced you will push your flying skills forward.

The price that you you are paying for the VP prop (that you touch about 6times a flight) is one that those on a tight budget can't afford and I do have to doubt that it is a price worth paying for that reason alone.

As a captain of a jet airliner and a flying club deputy CFI I find it is the basic skills that are lacking in most of the "new" pilots that I meet and have to agree that flying 50 hours within 20 miles of the home airfield is not going to help your flying skills one bit, however I encourage the people who lease my aircraft to take the aircraft on long trips. To this end I provide help (european Jepp plates) and advice on flight planning,cheap airfields, hotels and how to get the tax back on the fuel (saving £6/hour on my quoted price).

A trip to northern Spain is likely to "push flying skills forward" at least as much as as a long flight in South Africa and probably be more relivent to the next stage of of trainning towards the ATPL.

The objective of the hours building is to get the most (licence usable) flying experience for the least money. However your your objective seems to be a holiday with the "spin off" of flying time towards your ATPL and I don't knock that, but you are very lucky to have the extra money to spend, most ATPL students don't.