PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nationwide grounded
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2007, 06:23
Shrike200

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, ok, ten deep breaths all...

Originally Posted by JetNut
The writing is on the wall. What's it going to take to get the AMO up to standard? A lot of money. IATA has issued a warning that they will not endorse Nationwide tickets...in other words the company is not a solvent entity. If the international governing body is reluctant to back an airline, what can SACAA do other than scrutinise even further.

Rumour on the flight line from the engineers is that even the oil used in these aircraft have expired...dodgy operation to begin with. This airline should have closed down five years ago.
Jetnut, I'm sorry, but this is plain bollocks. Do you think this adds any value here?

For an alternate viewpoint, I'll try to summarise the latest Nwide internal letter explaining progress on this matter:

-VB says sorry, he understands the pressure on all of the crew and their families, working around the clock etc.

-CAA withdraws AMO certificate and Cert of Airworthiness for entire fleet late Thursday night.

-CAA provides lists of concerns late on Friday night. (The first time apparently, in conflict with their claims that Nationwide has known about everything for ages) Concerns relate to admin, labelling of tools, toolbox inspections, equipment labelling, procedures for storage and disposal of spare parts and consumables.

-An action plan as well as evidence of remedial steps was presented to the CAA w.r.t. all the items.

-The CAA did NOT raise any concerns w.r.t. the physical condition and fitness of Nationwide aircraft, the crew training, management, operational procedures etc.

-On Sunday they scrutinised the service history and current doc of the 767, including the docs of the previous owner of the aircraft. VB then mentions how surprised he was to see the CAA quoted in the newspapers as saying 'Nationwide could not even provide the most basic documentation re the 767', something he claims is complete B.S.

-The CAA also decided to announce that Nationwide was going to hire a 767 from KLM (complete bollocks apparently), adding pressure to call centres and causing further confusion amongst passengers.

-VB emphatically denies even coming close to smelling a pirate or untraceable part, ever, claiming to only use known parts from authorised distributors.

-ASATA and Comair are apparently also adding to the B.S. in the air by publicly stating that Nationwide has been ejected from IATA, which is not correct apparently. What has happened, is that Nationwide has been suspended from IATA's Billing and Settlement Programme, which is apparently standard when an airline suspends operations, and is done to protect IATA ticket sales funds. IATA have apparently issued a statement concerning Nationwide, clarifying Nationwides status, and assuring them of their continued support once ops recommence.

-VB also said that the company was financially sound, and capable of weathering the storm.

These things would have to be verified, but I must say that what comes from the CAA, and what comes from Nationwide are two entirely different things. IF VB is talking the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, then the CAA are clearly on a bit of a mission to bust them up. IF so, why? I'm certainly not going to accuse SAA or some other silly assumption, but this whole thing still smacks of 'ulterior motive' to me, from some or other bunch on high.

We have to seperate the 'VB sucks, good riddance, bunch of pirates' aspect from the CAA 'facts and omissions' aspect of this story. To the first camp, just remember, you're wishing for the unemployment of a thousand or so people just prior to the festive season. That's just plain wrong in my book. As I've said before, I've personally witnessed how efficiently the Nationwide crew have to be to get the job done, and I am very respectful.

Apparently their are some interesting points made in todays newspapers regarding both side.