PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Irex Questions....help :(
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2007, 15:08
Gmac115

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey PA
Recently passed IREX exam self study using Bob Tait, and in my opinion if I (21yo male who hates to study) can do it anyone can.

There are a few tricks to it that i found worked for me..

1. Think WHAT are they asking me.. WHY are they asking me. This is where going back over your mistakes in your preperation is important. You have most likely made the mistakes in your preperation that they expect you to make in the real exam.

2. Don't even look at the prac exams until you know your stuff. Do the work..I spent 4-5 weeks making notes on my notes on my notes. Did about 2- 3 hours a day 5 days a week. . 10 Days before the exam i started looking at prac exams. One or 2 at first then back to study. See what your getting wrong and WHY then more exams build up the work load over the week then take it easy the day before your exam.

3. Bob tait is great but have a look at some of the other prac exams out there. Rob Averys were great for me also.. See some different types of questions.

4. Take your time. Write the question down if you have to. Annoy the ASL ladies for more paper etc. (not like they do anything )

5. HAVE A PLAN for different types of questions. Even if you know the answer Look it up. Don't just read the answer in the AIP read the next few pages before and after.

6. Make a plan.
This is what I used to do for your typical location based IREX question.

Step 1.
Read question a few times. Think what are they asking me. Write it down.
- I would never look at answer options.
- Open ersa for airport(s) in question. Read it.. ALL OF IT!
-What are Tower hours of operation if Applicable (Special ATLN minima)
- Traffic Holding (esp Major aerodromes yssy etc.) Notes the times
- is AWIS / ATIS AVBL. YES?? think.. ACTUAL QNH.. WRITE IT DOWN.

Step 2. Open DAP. READ front page.
- Check for the shaded boxes on the plate. Write it down next to your ATIS/AWIS notes.

Step 3. Think about Eta's and EOD/BOD. Need ALTN for Lighting? Maybe holding till BOD+10 is a better option.

Step 4. As many have said here all ready. A C V W P L S. Write it down the page. Now fill in the info.

AIDS? Whats avbl? What instrument approaches avbl? . What category are you operating in? AWK / CHRT RPT. If no IAP can you do a visual app? Is the arrival at night?

CLOUDS/VIS: Write down your Minima.. Now go to your wx. Check and compare.

Wind: What rwys avbl? X wind component/down wind? Work it out. Is
Circling to land an option?

Prob/Prov ... I include this one in Clouds / Vis....

Lighting: I cant stress this one enough.. KNOW YOUR LIGHTING REQUIREMENTS. Destination and suitable ALTN selection. Consider BOD/EOD as above. You should be able to rattle off your lighting requirements at will. You should have Dreams about them

Storms. I used to check this first. Can save you going through all that if you have TS forecasted for your eta for a "do you require an ALTN question "

Write down your answer. Now find that in the list. If its not there?... Screw up working out paper and throw it at the bloke infront of you who keeps sniffling and start over.
*If you have time: When it comes to checking over your work later on consider WHY those other answer options are there.?. Why are they wrong? Prove your answer is correct.

I Used to think. "If I was writting this exam what sucker answer options would I put in there for idiots like me "

This exam is not hard If you have a plan.. A mental check list and do it. Dont get lazy. Do it for all your prac exams questions the same way every single time. (Knowing your stuff helps a little too ) The above worked for me. Im like you I like to see things on paper in front of me. You need to work out what works for you and stick with it. When you finally pass its Beer oclock

Gmac

Last edited by Gmac115; 3rd Dec 2007 at 15:29.