PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Interview and Sim Assessment (merged)
Old 3rd Dec 2007, 14:45
Boonanza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thought I might give a quick update of my experience and a bit of insight into how I prepared for the interview, hopefully this comes in handy for some of you!

We were first given a brief, which was very well delivered and helped to put all candidates at ease about the whole process.

My sim partner and I volunteered to go into the sim first (which I can throughly recommend!) We were given two plates that weren't part of the assessment pack and we had 10-15 minutes to prepare. One thing that helped both of us, was to get a quick 'alignment' on how we would assist eachother in the sim, and to make it clear that it was important that the PM call any deviations (within reason) and the importance of calling for a go-around if needed... basically just to make sure we both had similar understandings of non-tech skills.

The rest of the sim detail was pretty much as described in earlier posts. I found it really helped being thorough in your brief about navaid setup and each persons duties for the departure.

In order to prepare for the assessment I did the following, which I found to work quite well;

1) Purchased PMDG 737-800 for FS2004

2) Practiced all of the plates night and day whenever I had a spare minute

3) Practiced QDM/QDR intercepts and Holding entries with all sorts of different winds, you can use the function in flight sim to set the wind or to use present conditions

4) I went through all of my ATPL books briefly and did a quick assessment of strengths and weaknesses and did a full study plan to make sure I was sharp for the technical interview.

5) I purchased Checklist for Success and Ace the Technical Pilot interview

6) I managed to come into contact with some people that are working for Ryanair to gain an in-depth understanding of the job and what some of the key qualities required to succeed in the job are.

The interview lasted for about 60 minutes and I found it to be a positive atmosphere, but it was very thorough. The technical interview covered all areas of the ATPL and didn't focus on specific areas and the personnel interview focussed on my previous experience/personal attributes and how these would help make me a good employee for Ryanair.

I am very pleased to say, it all worked and I now have a few months to read everything I can about 737's before the real work begins!

Hope this helps - and good luck!

Boonie