PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Extra fuel burnt in air fee dodge
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2007, 07:48
Old King Coal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

The sector BHM – TFS has a great circle (i.e. the most direct) distance of 1849 statute miles. Our renowned tree hugging heroes at the BBC have cited that going down a Tango route adds an extra 100 miles therein making the sector be 1949 statute miles. That represents a 5.4% increase in the overall total distance (with the percentages for flights from Manchester and Newcastle being 5.3% and 4.9% respectively).

So, using the same analogy wrt driving my car… My nearest petrol station is 4 miles away. Adding on an extra 5.4% to that journey would make it 4.22 miles, i.e. just under an extra 400 hundred yards.

Uhm, so would I drive an extra 400 hundred yards to fill up my car if the petrol was 1p / liter cheaper at the further station?... You betcha!

Therein how about a headline of:
“Shock horror! Drivers of vehicles found to be driving extra distance in dodge to fill up with cheaper fuel!!!”

Wrt Ms 'Mari Martiskainen, a climate expert at the University of Sussex'. That’s most likely your Ex as in ‘a has been’ (though in this case probably a ‘never was’) and spurt as in 'can’t handle pressure' at University of Sussex... .. read 'academia' at it worst... an establishment famed for having nothing good ever come out of it... and I should know as I used to go there myself!

Wrt 150 car journeys between London & Brighton (wherein I assume they mean single sector journeys not a route pair?).
London to Brighton = 58 miles x 150 journeys = 8700 miles.
1.6 Tonnes of JetA1 with a specific gravity of 1.25 = 2000 litre of fuel.

Which means their vehicle is getting 19.8 mpg.. .which is piss poor imho.. therein it must be a RangeRover or some’at?!... and I’ll guarantee it won’t get that mpg with all the seats full at 500mph!

... and don’t even mention ‘Tankering’!

Nb. Edited due typo.

Last edited by Old King Coal; 3rd Dec 2007 at 16:03.