PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mildura Warbirds
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2007, 04:27
HarleyD

Location: Aus, or USA, or UK or EU, or possibly somehwere in Asia.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GB - I think it a little unfair to accuse Dunny of selling all the donated gear off for personal financial gain. PD slogged away for years to make a go of it, whilst living in a caravan on site. Many people derived education and enjoyment from the display such as it was but with the usual lack of perspicacity the council allowed the whole thing to slowly wither and die. PD put a huge amount of time and his own money into the museum and I personally don’t begrudge his selling off any of the Hudson bits that I had sourced and donated to the cause. All this stuff ended up somewhere that it needs it. If he had been in it for money he would be a (very wealthy) man, but that is not how it all panned out. Last I heard he had a storch and an ultralight.
Dunny was with CSIRO with the Hi-ball upper air sampling project, I think, and stuck on with the museum after that project finished up in the mid 60’s. Those balloons were amazing to watch being launched! I spent some time out there as a teenager helping when I could, and actually saw the Meatbox arrive from woomera (with much beating up and having fun). I recall 3 sabres, 4 or so wirraways, 2 and a half mustangs, half a kittyhawk, one and a half beauforts, a couple of Canberras(glow in the dark), 2 or so vampires, a proctor, a huson, a kingfisher fuselage, a mossie, most of a spitfire (in various parts from mk V and VIII), german jet engines, merlins, allisons, avons, liberator fin and turrets, two doves, a dak, some anson stuff and heaps of other fascinating bits and pieces. Probably left out more than I have recalled, it was the bones of an excellent museum.
Dunny usually travelled by motorcycle, but I do remember an ill fated foray of his into the stretch caddy business after one of his trips to the US. Good on ya, where ever in the world you are at the moment, at least you gave it a red hot go.
Best of luck to JL Jr and all those others who are keeping the aviation history of the region alive against overwhelming apathy from the general community, well done.
HD