PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing and flaps.
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2007, 21:56
CityFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I learned to fly, my instructor regularly had me land in different configurations so that I would be ready for any eventuality.

The problem I found was that although I fully understood when to use different stages of flap, the need to use anything less than full flap did not occur for several years, so I had not had to consider the consequences.
I ended up on final approach with full flap in a C150 and a vicious headwind. I needed full power to maintain height. Of course I realised very quickly that I needed less flap, but I did not know what the consequences of removing flap would be at 300ft. I thought I might sink, but by how much?

Experience, has taught me to remember to check the flaps required every time in the circuit - of course that is obvious, but not if you have not needed to worry for several years; it is possible to forget. What I wish I had learned whilst training was how much I would sink by (if at all) if I removed the flap.
So how much flap should you have on final? It doesn't matter, so long as you fully understand why you have made your choice and know if there are better options and what the effect is if you change your mind. Robotic learning is fine on day one, but a full understanding maketh the pilot.