PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing and flaps.
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2007, 20:57
Notsonew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes,
I too have met the '2 notches only' brigade.

I am guessing, but I believe they may have been told that there is less chance of ballooning,either through a mis judged flare or a sudden gust of wind.

There at least 10 reasons for using flap on the approach and landing and some of them may suggest full flap is even better

1. Lower stalling speed.
2. Lower approach speed.
3. Lower ground speed.
4. Faster retardation on the ground.
5. Higher drag therefore more power/slipstream thus more elevator control.
6. Lower nose to see better.
7. More lateral stability -I think the flapped spanwise distribution of the Cl values enhances the 'dihedral effect'
8. Lower nose actually means more effective ailerons. (work than one out -I believe it is due to the flapped wing neutral postion of the ailerons is lower relative to the airflow than the unflapped position and thus has a greater effective range of travel)
9.Higher power means a quicker response to full power for a 'go around' (or following a bounce)
10. Keeps you in the 'speed stable' part of the drag curve.

On the Cherokee 10 degrees flap is nearly only extra lift.
25 degrees is a lot of lift and a fair amount of drag, 40 degrees a lot of drag and only a bit more lift. (I believe).

Now there is a thread on Pprune that discusses the occasions when 25 degrees of flap may be better. If the crosswind is say 45 degrees off the runway and very gusty then use 25.Example 45 degrees 'off' at 16 kts would be 12kts xwind component and 12 kts headwind component.
Now 90 degree crosswind and very gusty and it may be better to use 40 degree and thus spend less time in the flare/float but this a fine judgement and gut feeling/experience could be the deciding factor (and the strength of the wind/gusts)
Certainly I have felt happier in a strong cross wind by staying in the flare/float as long as possible to judge the crosswind touchdown (whether it is crab or wing down or a combination of the two). The longer float is possible in a 90 degree crosswind whether you have 25 degrees or 40 due to the lack of headwind component).

I emphasise that all the above is my personal slant on the subject but I hope it helps.