PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best & Worst Mil Aviation Film and Why
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2007, 14:22
Groundgripper

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I remember being taken to the cinema to see a film called "The Net", way back in the mid-1950s. It was, I think (but it's a long time ago), an espionage movie about the development of a new secret bomber and information being passed to a foreign state. Its main star, as far as I was concerned, was the prototype (or an early production) Victor and there was a fair amount of flying involved, especially at high altitude for which the crew apparently wore goldfish bowls as helmets. All in black and white, but with a silver Victor and big white clouds there were some good flying sequences.

The denouement involved the deputy test pilot being unmasked as the spy whilst airborne on a test flight. He produced a gun and tried to force the Chief Test Pilot to fly the aircraft to said foreign state. In the ensuing fight he dropped the gun and the CTP pitched the aircraft so that the gun slid back along the cockpit floor. Whilst trying to retrieve it the villain pulled the air supply tube off his helmet and conveniently suffocated.

Anyone else remember it?.........no, I'm not surprised!

Isn't it amazing how trivia sticks in your mind to the detriment of everything else. If I could have remembered what my university lecturers said half as well as I remembered that film, I'd have got a better degree.

GG