PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Strong gusts on approach
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2007, 13:21
stevehudd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strong gusts on approach

I have done landings in florida with gusts to 20 but I was at MAN today watching a 757 coming in, and today was very bad, winds gusting to 40mph, i have been in a 50kt wind in an embraer but it didnt have dark clouds like today and just felt completly different that night compared to what i was seeing today, i was on the approach end of 25R and the planes on approach just worried me for their safety as much as mine, the 757 getting pushed up and then pushed down and swinging to the right just over the road of shadow moss right next to touch down.

Do you beleive that your life is in the hands of nature at this point.

Or is it a fact of, 757 approaching at say 180kts, wind adds 20kts in gust then takes it away straight after hence the climb then descend caused by the wind. How does this differ to the dangerous windshear?

Thanks

P.S I've searched google for tafs but only present weather available and i'm after around 11am GMT if poss, Plus i'd love to ask the BA 757 from heathrow pilot that landed at 12:30 what he thought, please dont put this in plane spotters corner as i want to carry onto my ATPL maybe and i cant just ask the airline if i can fly in pretty weather