PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Display 'C*ck Ups'
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2007, 12:01
mustpost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Absolutely not military person but fond memories of Rosyth Navy Day cock-up in the late seventies (forgive my lack of correct terminology as we go thru' this). As a radio presenter at the time, I was to give a live commentary to the local radio station where I worked during a simulated rescue from a dinghy pegged down on the centre of the football field. This bit at least was correct (the pegging down bit). I am suited up, helmeted, mic-ed and accompanied out to the dinghy by an officer whose rank I am not now sure of, but he did carry a lot of responsiblity (and notes, of which more later). Obviously he is in radio communication - few minutes later Sea King becomes visible over Forth Bridge from Turnhouse area. To add drama and guide my rescuers in, my new-found friend holds aloft a flare and lights it - upside down.. Much burning of uniform, not to say skin, and he does a very good job of inverting the burning flare without intemperate language (gritted teeth etc.) - heroically refusing assistance. Helo now in hover, winchman descends to pluck me from my watery grave - me commentating live on-air, but as I am helped aboard and plugged in, disaster no 2 befalls my officer. With a painful and obviously weakened arm, as we put the nose down to make off, the downdraft reaches him and dispatches the contents of his loose-leaf folder to the four corners of the field - yes it was the entire instructions for Rosyth Navy Day. Looked like about 250 pages to me - rather like confetti. Much abuse from the pilot "told him not to bring anything loose onto the field - bloody fool" etc. but sadly after we landed I did not see him again. Hope he was OK - maybe he uses this forum... Anyway it was all around thirty years ago..

After careful thought I edit this by saying this is in no way to discredit or humiliate the person involved - accidents are accidents and I've had more than most people - I learn a lot from this website.

Last edited by mustpost; 7th Dec 2007 at 09:22.