PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod Information
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2007, 09:09
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting points Tuc. As ever, I had to read your post twice to understand it.

The two reasons I have heard time and again for not introducing MRA4 with adequate safety equipment are lack of time and lack of money. Much the same as your well crafted argument for XV230 being sent up there on that fateful day, without bomb bay fire protection and fuel tank protection and with no measures taken to reduce the risk of fire or fuel tank explosion.

The hole in which the RAF finds itself has resulted in life-exed aircraft being forced to carry on doing mission critical tasks. The need for the replacement aircraft is obvious. But that aircaft is also lacking basic fire protection and does not have built-in combat survivability.

If there is any redemption possible here, it will be in the findings and recommendations of the BoI on Tuesday.

Changing attitudes among serving chiefs of staff will be altogether different. For too long, they have seen it their only duty to get the mission done at any cost. I hope those days are coming to an end.