PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid Air at Latrobe Valley. 1 Dead
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2007, 04:43
Flying Binghi

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
ForktailDr,

My input into this thread was in relation to several posts telling of their own near-miss experiances and a call for Tcas.

I bought Oshkosh up as an example of just how succesful see and aviod can be. Oshkosh airshow has more VFR aircraft flying in an area not much bigger than the Caloundra - Redcliff CTAF, then Australia has aircraft.

Perhaps the good results at Oshkosh is that pilots expect a lot of traffic so they look out side.

Unforetunatly here in Australia, I think there are some pilots who dont look out that much and when they have the inevitable near miss, they try and blame it on the system, or a lack of some electronic warning device etc. If they were to drive their cars the same way - looking at the CD player or Passenger, the result would be the same.

Calls for costly electronic warning devices will mearly put aviation further out of reach for the average Australian. Looking out the window achieves the same result and keeps the pilots situational awareness as well.

Sad as the incident is that is the originater for this thread, it is still an extremely rare event in Australia.

Last edited by Flying Binghi; 2nd Dec 2007 at 11:40. Reason: Spelling