PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PLEASE READ THIS AND HELP SAVE GA IN THE UK - Save the IMCR
Old 1st Dec 2007, 21:27
FREDAcheck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a go at drafting a template letter on the other thread, but I don't have enough information. Here it is again, modified a bit. Forgive the repetition, but I'd appreciate help.

It needs to be fairly pithy if MPs or MEPs are to read it. But can anyone help with the bits at the bottom please? What are we asking our MPs to do? We need to state what (precisely) we want them to do. What order, statute or whatever they should oppose. If we don't suggest what they should do, then sure as heck they won't do it.
Please help me stop another case of the European standard banana; excessive and unnecessary harmonisation.

In future aircraft pilot licensing is to be done on a European basis by EASA, rather then country by country (by the CAA in the UK). But it is being done by forcing the lowest common denominator on each country; we must all be the same.

To fly in cloud, pilots need an “instrument rating”. This greatly increases safety, even for private pilots who get caught out in bad weather. However the instrument rating is designed for commercial pilots and is both expensive and excessive as a “bad weather safety skill” for private pilots. Uniquely, the UK has an “IMC rating” – a lower qualification that is within the reach of any private pilot. There is evidence that this increases safety for UK private pilots (and those that share the airspace with them – that is, all of us).

Quite simply: the IMC rating saves lives.

No other country has this rating, and for reasons that do not reflect on why the UK should – or should not – have one. But once EASA takes over, every country must be the same. The UK IMC rating must go. Why must we lose something valuable for the sake of mindless harmonisation?

(Help needed here on: )
Please help lobby for a UK exception or opt-out. (Or what?)
This rule/regulation/order/whatever originates from EASA (which stands for…) subgroup JAA FCL 001 and is to be presented to… by… on such and such a date…
And please will you… (do what?)
PS - If the experts think this is not an appropriate form of letter, please draft something better.

Last edited by FREDAcheck; 1st Dec 2007 at 21:29. Reason: PS added