PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Infamous Instructors! Best / Worst
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2007, 15:59
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 422 Likes on 222 Posts
I recall a certain QFI in the early 1970s (ex Lightnings) who's method was to shout at the student if he was doing well and shout louder if he wasn't.
During my Flying Scholarship pre-solo circuit training he lost his voice at me because the louder he shouted the more I overcontrolled.

He decided to teach me a lesson by proving that the aircraft (C150) could be flown around the circuit without touching the control column. He used rudder, flaps and throttle to get us onto finals, which I found quite frightening and uncomfortable. At about a hundred feet on finals, he was applying final flap when the aircraft's nose dropped hard in some turbulence from a row of poplar trees just outside the airfield boundary (anyone remember Ipswich?).

He now had one hand on the central throttle and the other on the flap switch, giving an insufficient number of hands to raise the nose! He flipped the flap switch to retract, gave it full power and uttered a quiet "Oh $hit"!

Not a lot happened and seeing the near hedge and the ground rushing up I instinctively pulled hard back on the CC, just before we speared in short of the threshold. We landed very hard but in the correct attitude (with no damage) and bounced; he then took control and landed it; we taxied in. He said nothing else except "I f***ed that up, didn't I?"

I didn't fly with him again for a long time; thankfully they gave me to the late Cliff Barnett to get sorted out; I went solo on time.

Another "party trick" of this same QFI was to give a PFL to the airfield then lean over, turn off the mags and put the key in his jacket top pocket with the prop stopped.

He was later "let go" after he dive-bombed a group of youths on the runway (public right of way across the airfield - it was an ongoing problem). Most people just "went around" when this happened, but not him.....full power and three feet agl across the grass! They all dived out of the way but one had been sitting on a moped which got in the way of the prop and the nosewheel....