PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid Air at Latrobe Valley. 1 Dead
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2007, 10:39
Ultralights

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
then how do both aircraft arrive in the same place at the same time?
Even if only one is aware of other, why would that aircraft not stay well away from a possible area of conflict until it had a visual ID on the other?
Dr
Thats exactly what i would like to know. up until the point of near collision, all radio calls appeared normal.
the matter has been resolved with ATSB and the other pilot involved, apon talking to the other pilot, (instructor in this case) he said he didnt see me, and believed my calls were from the aircraft vacating the runway (the aircraft i was following, i was flying a Jabiru, the aircraft infront was a Skipper) , so he made a short base and final. it wasnt untill i made a few remarks on the radio that he saw the error by then i had already pushed full power and was climbing away for another circuit. he was a little worried of some physical repercussions, so he taxied back to 34 and departed immediately.
in my case it was a simple miss communication, and error in judgment, i just hope the same wasn't the case today resulting in a fatality.