PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mega Merged: Qantas Long Haul Cabin Crew Eba8 Negotiations
Old 1st Dec 2007, 10:13
left 4 primary

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Food For Thought.
Just received this e-mail in regards to the EBA, thought I'd pass it on for a response.

How did Bill Clinton put it........? One has to be very careful in deciphering and comprehending what is being said/offered in these 'dirty deals.' For example the CC were led to believe (from FAAA) that Qantas would, 'maintain the current cap on overseas bases' and that this would mean no additional overseas recruiting. However, it then comes to light that the 'current cap' is a percentage and that with the additional Australian crew employed through QCCA, there would also be an additional 400 overseas CC.

The CC were also led to believe the deal stitched up flying of all new types, ala A380 and B787 with words such as, 'all new wide-bodied aircraft flown Internationally will be flown by long-haul crew.' Obviously all the new QCCA and overseas recruits will be considered 'long-haul crew.'

Oh, and as Mick said above, all this with the J-scale pay for new hires. I bet they'll be rushing in to pay their subscriptions to the FAAA.

What's that nagging prickly feeling at the back of my neck? GUILT! And the $3000 is blood money. And Rudd had only been in for 3 days.

We've been conditioned to believe that 3% is the holy grail of pay rises. I hope that Contract 2007 looks substantially better than the CC deal. It stinks!

The market rules.

The conclusion by both teams involved is that suitable units are available for a 25%discount on hourly running costs. These units are expected to be 30% more productive than the current units.

If this is so- and I don''t doubt that it is-the FAAA have done well to come out with improved conditions for it's present workforce.

Clearly they were given these conditions as the price of retaining some experience in the company and industrial and political peace and quiet.

PR is also another factor. For an Australian employer to be seen cutting the pay and conditions of current workers, or hiring an increasing percentage of foreign workers to do what are seen as Australian jobs, in a company considered an Australian Icon could shift sentiment and damage the bottom line.

Also it should be noticed that the gains- and reduced conditions for future hires- were obtained via negotiations and with reference to the real market.

The lesson for AIPA is clear, understand the market, understand what is possible and negotiate.

Technical aircrew are a different kind of unit and not so easy to obtain or train as cabin crew. Using market theory the price should respond to the demand, scarcity and complexity of the unit needed at the sharp end of the airplane.

The current market appears to favor the seller. That doesn't mean the buyers wont try and project another perception, that's just a normal negotiating tactic.

I still hold the same view. Negotiation over litigation, as much rapport with those you negotiate with as possible, and total understanding of the market and what can be achieved.

A good outcome for both parties should be possible under present conditions.

Further Thoughts.....

“I thought a union was to represent ALL employees”

It is. Therefore, that is exactly what the FAAA have done.
All employees currently in the FAAA have just negotiated a good deal…..for them!

I think you will find the realisation that the “golden-days” of a long-term Flight Attendant, earning more than a Regional Airline Captain are gone and this is the FAAA method of dealing with that form of change or hard economic fact. That’s what we are told by our Qantas Flight Attendant colleagues here on the coast anyway…… TJF!

Realisation…….that there is NOT a World-Wide shortage of Flight Attendants. Realisation that most of the world start-up Airlines are driving down the rates of pay for Flight Attendants.

Yes, the arguments of Pay and Conditions always come after one secures employment in that “dream” airline job. Plenty of young persons seeking travel on paid conditions. Certainly beats “back-packing” to exotic destinations. I wonder how the service standard on-board will alter after January 1 2008, or if anyone really cares in corporate Qantas.

Do such savings make for significant Managerial Bonuses in the short to medium term?

I would expect to see VR offered (on several occasions) to the current Flight Attendants over the next Three to Five years.

Industrially considering the FAAA position, should we at AIPA deal for those not employed and as yet not even members of our Association. Of course not, however and possibly another analogy to consider…… if you went to Griffith University and offered the Aviation Students employment on wide-body jets for $95,000 you would probably be “crushed” in the rush to sign up.

However, unlike the Flight Attendants, that is NOT a feasible prospect as such “newbie’s” cannot compliment your current pilot position, after a five-week ground course (thank-heavens) and service training.

Observing the current Qantas corporate industrial strategy and trends and considering the deep industrial aspects, I expect we would not be as stupid industrially (at least I hope we would not….) as to de-grade our conditions and profession today, based on fiscal motivations, that could be used against us all in the future.

Do I really care about what the FAAA has done, No!

Do I expect that Long Haul Fleet Pay, the ATO Reasonable Allowance Rates and Common Pay for Second Officers and revised Scheduling Conditions may be an industrial determination by Senior Qantas Management in the short to medium term, Yes!

I say this as I find the FAAA negotiation an illustrative and highly descriptive over-view of where Qantas Senior Management (read….Ian Oldmeadow Consulting and Qantas I.R.) and world trends, wishes to move in regards to pay, conditions and long-term employment for Technical Aircrew.

Unlike the FAAA, our position industrially, will depend on the ability of our AIPA negotiators to strike long-term industrial deals that preserve the best of conditions, pay and benefits for us now.

The ability to be able to negotiate effectively and strategically in EBA 8 by the AIPA is now obviously paramount, as is the timing, given recent world events.

With the price of oil at $100 a barrel, the World Share Markets expecting a recession in the USA, the FAAA having just completed a “costly” EBA (in company terms) and the Jetstar's Pilots EBA being re-negotiated to keep crews in aircraft …OH!... and a $70 Million Dollar fine for Qantas Price Fixing…I trust there is something left to pay we Long-Haul Pilots and Flight Engineers, if the deal is ever done. Sooner than later too!

I did read the AIPA insights “party line” yesterday, however I and my colleagues still have NO idea of what is being offered (why the big-secret AIPA….) or traded by either party. Surprise package… I am sure……..I trust not of the nature of the FAAA though!

Just my humble opinion and thoughts of course……

A Good Deal....For Whom?

Sounds like they’ve sold their souls for CPI, a Superannuation sweetener & a before tax “bonus” of 3000 pieces of silver! They’ll have no one to blame but themselves when, a few years down track, the following scenario has unfolded:

The ratio of the more fortunate “old guard” to the newer less fortunate has changed. The bitterness and divisiveness of a significant B Scale has festered away for a few years now. The initial novelty of being a new flight attendant has truly worn off.

They feel that they are overworked and underpaid – at least compared to those other more fortunate, truly understanding, empathetic original FAs. A new EBA is up for negotiation. The Company offers the lower pay scale plus enough of a sweetener to get the majority (now the less fortunate) to vote yes.

Ipso facto, the EBA gets up and all FA’s are now on J* style conditions. What a magnificent coup! One has to appreciate the Machiavellian brilliance of this medium term play

It doesn’t really matter how you try to justify it; the bottom line is, if you willingly vote in a B Scale you are acknowledging that your job is worth less than you are currently getting i.e. you agree with management that you are over paid!! Dangerous ground that. Then, it’s only a matter of time until you are in the same unenviable position. Somewhat difficult to then argue that you’re special & are worth more than those other plebes, isn’t it?

I know, market forces, high oil prices, competition etc Yada yada yada. Airline profits have been great. The sky is not about to fall in. There is no reason why people have to sell their profession short, merely to line the pockets of some little office oxygen thief, so he can have the bonus that he so richly deserves!

What is of concern here is the principle of a B scale & the foolishness, and deleterious consequences of signing up to it, for short term gain. They get paid what they get paid; rightly or wrongly. I’ll not enter into that. Who says that they have to devalue their jobs? Management? Must be necessary then. No agenda here. Plenty of used car sales people though. Are management reducing their remuneration? Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Let’s just hope that we have the sense to do otherwise. But than again, there was that great SH EBA result.

Speaking of other EBAs, today the IRC granted LAMEs permission to undertake a ballot for industrial action for the purpose of advancing claims in their EBA. The ballot closes 20th December and the proposals include overtime bans, higher duties bans, and stop work meetings, all in time for Christmas.

Regarding the FAAA, despite what their deal looks like at first glance let's not make too many grievous assumptions. The name of the game is extracting the best possible gains under the existing circumstances, given the current market supply/demand relationship and importantly, the employer's capacity to pay.