PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LEEDS - 4
Thread: LEEDS - 4
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2007, 22:45
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought somewhere near the M1/M62 intersection was a near ideal, reasonably flat location, and undeveloped, and more useable by the large south Leeds/Barnsly area. But there are a few ex RAF airfields around, I'm not sure how suitable to develop. As for funding, if the money can't be raised privately, no airport. No taxpayers money, period. If the region can't support its own airport, then MAN and DSA should do, and rapid public transport links set up instead. I just think it better to admit somewhere is a mistake rather than press on ad infinitum fiddling to try and keep an unsatisfactory arrangement going.
We have this situation ongoing in Hampshire. The government is closing a wonderful military hospital (Haslar, Gosport) for financial reasons, just as we are embroiled in a 2 wars with numerous seriously wounded military personnel. A marvellous hospital in a terrific location for our servicemen, for financial reasons. they are being consigned to NHS Hospitals where their needs are not addressed and they are open to verbal attack by hostile people. If good things are to get the chop, then Yeadon Airport must stand or fall on how good it is, and if we all looked at it critically and honestly, how can we not shudder?