PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Saying "Degrees" after hdg
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2007, 19:10
ATCO Fred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, Fred, I might be out of the circus now... but if I had a quid for every American pilot who read back a low QNH to me in inches I'd be on a yacht in the Caribbean!
Yes HD - I guess I was trying to be to subtle/PC. Was trying to express the sixth sense you develop with experience when you know from the tone of voice, make of aircraft, country of origin etc - that this Guy/Gal can except the surfeit of information you are about to pass ...OR

Instructions need to be passed a word at a time, one syllable at a time,.....and then EXPECT the opposite to occur.

I'm sure you all know where I'm coming from. You CANNOT regulate against this sort of buffoonery, it's our skill, experience, initiative and teamwork that keeps things on the straight and narrow - and long may it continue.
Hmmmm - I feel the force is strong on the forum tonight....Hmmm.

Fred

BUT...if a pressure setting is passed to a US aircraft as 999 and the pilot interprets this as 29x99 (cause it's common practice back home to drop the 2 (which I think is Gash)) then who is at fault - the one adhereing to RT protocal or the one being gash?