PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Court Martial over F15 crash
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2002, 22:08
RAF QWI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm surprised that anyone was surprised by this, given that it was very widely publicised at the time. . .Additionally, I am surprised and disappointed at the general lack of awareness (not here neccessarily, but in crewrooms etc)regarding a captain's responsibilities for terrain avoidance under RAS and RIS.. .Whilst there will be many facts surrounding this case of which we are not, and never will be, aware, may I offer the following 3 upon which you may rely utterly ?. .1. The 2 F15Cs were in close formation, IMC, under a radar service from Leuchars, whilst attempting to let down to LL. They were under a RAS. ( When they arrive for their tour, it is hammered into the USAF pilots the significance of RAF and UK radar services pertaining to terrain seperation responsibilities). They were informed by the controller as to the height of their sector safe altitude.. .2. The USAF BOI closed having exonorated the RAF conroller. (This potentially could have been a diplomatic move I grant you).. .3. At a recent meeting of all RAF Stations' PROs, the Lakenheath PRO asked for guidance as to how to respond to queries regarding the matter, now that the RAF were going for a CM, given that her parent service's own BOI had found no cause for blame.. .. .It has been obvious for the past year, that RAF controllers are very nervous about the whole issue; hence the increased tendency to over- control and say far to much on the R/T. Adding to their discomfort, I'm sure, is the modern over-use of the phrase "duty of care" as a metophorical accusatory finger. . .. .It's disappointing to see the reactionary words of Radar Muppet on page 1. Too many people are too quick in seeking to apportion blame rather than in claiming responsiblity. . .For myself.. there's only one person in my ac who will ever hold responsibility for terrain avoidance, whether IMC, VMC, IFR, VFR, TFR, day or night or on NVG with or without a radar service, and that's the ac captain. Me. ATC are there to help and provide assistance, and mostly they do it very well, but if my ac hits the ground, regardless of the radar service I'm using, it's my fault, no-one else's.