PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2007, 12:13
Sand4Gold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
could someone please take pity on an old pilot and tell me what the cloudbase limits are for a military helicopter flying above 140 knots?

Boslandew

I sense your frustration. There may be a reason why you’re not getting a reply to your question. I, and I am prepared to be shot down on this, cannot recall any ‘FOB/GASO/ASO’ - that governed SH rotary flying - referring to a greater visibility limit when flying >140 kts. This recollection goes back to my days with 38 Gp, 1 Gp and, of course, JHC. Whether this was by omission, or design, by the authors, I cannot say. Most routine planning by SH crews, as you know, was/is done at 120 kts as a ‘standard’; the need to fly at 140 kts on a regular basis was not a day-by-day requirement – or indeed possible with some aircraft.

First time contributor

I, like many, knew and flew with Jon, Rich, Graham and Kev – what I cannot come to terms with, still, is that the total tonnage of doubt that exists to date could stop a herd of migrating wildebeest in its tracks. Something is not right here; what is it we are not being told?

Last edited by Sand4Gold; 1st Dec 2007 at 14:50.