PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot sick on QF flight
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2007, 09:19
Connetts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I messed up a first attempt to comment on Pinkman and G-AWNO. It's the first attempt I've made to post and apologise for making a nuisance of myself. I gave and repeat a brief personal profile to explain my interest.

I am not a pilot but a retired legal academic with a research post in criminal justice and with an interest in your work - which it was the Lord's intention that I should do, just over fifty years ago, but was frustrated by a paternal decree which I still resent. Now and then I blow some pension and wander round for an hour or so in a Tomahawk with an instructor, but I cannot obtain even a PPL: the process was interrupted permanently by an aneurysm a few years back, though the surgeon insists his Teflon tubing is better than the aorta which was originally installed over 70 years ago.

G-AWNO (and its tragic aftermath) is a horrible case which upset me greatly. It is a case I have studied and published on. I am currently working on a further paper on the criminal liability of pilots, a topic which continues to bother me as there seems to be a lack of coherence in the jurisprudence. I would hope to be able to contribute to legal literature and prevent something like that ever happening again, but I am confused about some of the legal issues.

I have no problems about disclosing my identity off-list but I am uncertain about the protocol and feel somewhat intrusive watching your collective workspace thus at all.

I should be grateful if anyone could give me instances, anywhere in the world, of the conviction of a professional pilot under legislation which makes it an offence which might be broadly described as endangering an aircraft - any country in the world would be relevant. As the sort of model, I refer to the UK's ANO Arts 73 and 74. I would need publicly accessible bibliographic citation details (eg newspaper reports and law reports) so that it can be referred to in a refereed law journal, and it would inevitably make for a publicly-identifiable incident. I am a little reluctant to use the "personal communication" footnote as this could cause ethical problems of disclosure and anonymity.

It is remarkable how few such cases I have been able to locate. I have some statistics of UK prosecutions but these appear to be almost invariably of PPLs.

I hope that I am not out of order in making this enquiry.