PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Midland Kegworth Crash on T.V Tonight
Old 28th Mar 2001, 23:02
Stall-Warner

Chaps,

There is another perspective on this one.

Following the Townsend Thoresen disaster, there was a radical rethink of procedures, not the inherent design faults of Ro-RO ferries. We all know that this ferry design is in use all round the world and legislation cannot just prevent their use because of a (tragic) accident. However, procedures can prevent a repeat. Similar to the Beau Belle tragedy on the Thames - pleasure boats continue to mix with other commercial nautical traffic - procedures have been tightened to make it safe.

I don't think we collectively (ie society) try to hide the major accidents of the past. Sure it was a tragedy for all involved - I had a distant, but personal loss in the BM accident and can only stagger a guess at how it must feel for close F & F.

But, for those who did lose their lives or loved ones, is it not part of the reckoning process to know that SOME good might come from the accident. Let's not forget the lessons immediately learnt in the aftermath of the accident.

We should not be complacent about air travel, nor should we expect others to have such an in depth knowledge of the technical aspects of aviation. We are all experts in our own fields.

I may be wrong and will openly admit it if the research team proves me wrong. But let's not prejudge the outcome until we've seen the portrayal.

God help me if I'm wrong.

SW