PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Failed Ejections
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2007, 17:43
con-pilot

Aviator Extraordinaire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My father was ADO one day when an F-86 lost control and the pilot ejected when the aircraft was banked 90 degrees about a 100 feet above the runway. The pilot still in the seat flew into some trees that were along side the runway. Everyone that saw the ejection figured that the guy was dead, including my father, therefore all of the attention of everyone was to extinguish the fire that resulted from the F-86 crashing.

After the fire was under control my father and the ambulance crew hiked off into the trees to recover the 'body'. After getting through the trees they spotted the ejection seat sitting more or less upright in a small clearing. As they approached the seat the head of the pilot moved and they could see his hands moving.

Apparently the tree tops slowed the seat down and he landed in the cleaning alive. If I remember correctly he had a broken arm and both ankles were broken and he suffered a concussion. In a year he was back flying.

So, I guess that could count as a failed ejection. Sorry, I cannot recall where my father told me this took place or the date.