PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best & Worst Mil Aviation Film and Why
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2007, 10:50
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surprised no one else has mentioned Battle of Britain.
Fantastic movie, but you mean there were actually aeroplanes in it? My main recollection is of Susannah York in her suspender belt and RAF-issue bloomers. Set the blood coursin' through the veins and showed us all what the chaps were fightin' for.

Re Erroyl Flynn: I had forgotten 'Dawn Patrol', where I understand more stunt pilots died than the USAF has suffered casualties in some recent wars. The final scenes in 'The Great Waldo Pepper' were set in very similar circumstances. (Not a war-ie, but having sat through TGWP again recently, it still stands as one of the better aviation movies I've seen.) I was thinking more of Erroyl Flynn's utterly awful efforts to boost the war effort in WW2, particularly that one set in Burma where he showed that Bill Slim and the whole 14th Army could have stayed at home in Blighty for the duration, 'cos Erroyl cleaned up the entire Japanese Army all on his own with that inexhaustible magazine he had on this Thompson Gun.

Last edited by Wiley; 29th Nov 2007 at 12:54. Reason: Subject of my lust's name amended to the correct name, thanks to the headsup from dakkg651 in post 28.