PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pablo Sacked from MyTravel
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2007, 08:52
Basil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will have to tell the last guy who did my Sim Check that there's nothing such thing as CRM and adherence to SOP's in the military, only airline flying..
Yes, Just 'kin do it! and stop arguing!
I once flew for an airline where that was sort of encouraged:
Trainer to Basil "You got to ride that flight engineer a bit harder!"
Basil: "Perhaps you'd get the ATIS for me."
Trainer: "Perhaps I won't."
Basil: "Get the ATIS!"
Trainer: "No worries."

I subsequently added 'airline' to 'SOPs' to make it clear that I referred specifically to airline operations.
I think there are differences.
We operate in a environment in which we support each other (yes, I know some of the temporarily disaffected would disagree).
In the military, on the one hand you'll probably get an expeditious approach at a friendly station but be less kindly received when visiting the bad boys.

There are those who do not understand the law as it applies to civil aviation, e.g. I think in another thread, the law as it applies to 'charter flights' is confused with 'private flights'. Big difference.
The thread in R&N goes on a bit with ill informed comment.

No intention to suggest that the mil does not have SOPs and sorry if I've ruffled professional feathers. I've a bit of a thing about SOPs, having flown with pain in the derrier captains who thought it was cool to 'do their own thing'. As a FO, at one time, I (uncharacteristically) preferred flying with training captains because we'd just collected a bunch of captains who wouldn't have recognised SOP if they'd met it in their soup!