PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reserve QFIs
Thread: Reserve QFIs
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2007, 21:25
Roland Pulfrew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
VVHA

Why is it wrong?
How about this? I join the RAF and agree to do 16 years or to the age of 38. I reach the exalted ranks of flt lt so I am on about £45K pa. At that point I can leave the RAF and will get a £10K pa pension. Note I have earned this pension and it's mine if I leave.

I can take my pension and join an airline on lets say £42K as first officer + my pension I have now had a nice pay rise and I work for the airline and get to stay in my own house near where I work.

Now maybe I am a QFI when I get to 38. I fancy living in my own house near one of the FTSs and still teach people to fly. I could apply to become an FTRS QFI, still as flt lt on £45k (if I am on full commitment) with the relevant flying pay band.

I am on a contract now (3 - 5 years) so a bit of a risk for long term employment. I should have my pension, note I earned it and would have it if I joined an airline, but because of the rules I can not earn more than I was on when in the RAF.

Incentive to stay? Nil. Result? An inability to recruit FTRS QFIs to fill the many posts that have been converted to FTRS to try and stay within the stupid 41000 manpower cap. Further result? An inability to train the pilots of the future.

Now if I retire at 55 and fancy working on for a few more years the problems get worse because the pension I have earned from 21 - 55 is that much bigger. Incentive to stay on??????

Does that answer your question?

Op Twenty

and Linton and Valley don't have problems at the moment
Not sure where you get that from. Linton were running with 15% gapped posts and Valley at about 5%. PMA view is that all must share the pain. If the frontline is gapped then training units must take their share.

Last edited by Roland Pulfrew; 28th Nov 2007 at 22:22.