PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - COMPULSORY FITNESS FOR RAF
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2002, 09:41
DuckDogers

Interesting topic this with several points that need raising.

Firstly, is the fitness level in the RAF of a high enough standard? In my opinion it is woefully short of the mark for both sexes; with the female test being some what of a standing joke. Those who fail this poor excuse of a fitness test, an everalarming number need to be dealt with. I for one was never a superathlete at school and through university, but when i applied for commissioning i got my ass down the gym and did fitness, cardio-vascular and strength work, something i continue to do well towards the end of my first tour. What is needed is a return to the good old 1.5 mile run with target times, or an appropriate alternative, that is tested before even being accepted into the RAF. Comments welcome.

Secondly, why has, like many threads, this one turned into an aircrew bashing post? Granted certain aircrew mates are on the larger side but look at your average techy and adminer. Branch/trade is irrelevent to this thread and we need to deal with the issue that is, a) many of those being recruited today are physicall unfit, b)how to educate those who are unfit; something that the PEd Flt at my unit have successfully encouraged, c) self motivation!!!!!!!!

Finally of note to those interested. When Typhoon enters service, pardon the deliberate error, the pilot will be issued with a gym card that will record the FORMAL gym/fitness sessions that they undertake as every Sqn or wing will have a dedicated Typhoon fitness facility. So at the end of the day no record of following the programme EQUALS no sortie.

At the end of the day age/athletisism is irrelevent, self-esteem and pride in wearing the uniform should be enough.

A can of worms open here perhaps so on goes the body armour, as it will be for real at the end of march. Replies anticipated...................