PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - COMPULSORY FITNESS FOR RAF
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2002, 19:23
RoyalRock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think we all agree that physical fitness is a good thing and it is the responsibility of the individual to maintain the level required to do his/her job effectively. The type of fitness required to be a gunner is totally different to the type required by, for example, movers (long hours and lots of shifting things i believe).

However, regarding aircrew being fit enough to leap like a gazelle into the seat and pole for a while is not enough. What about the fitness required when it all goes horribly wrong and you end up on the ground, minus kit, and sausage-side to boot?

Aircrew they have to complete their mission (whatever that may be). This could well involve skill at arms, NBC, survival bits and all the other things associated with that subject.

A key element to all of the above is physical fitness. I don't mean to imply that all aircrew should be marathon runners but maybe a weekly hour down the gym booting a ball about on a Friday before happy hour might be a scheme. Informal training is a laugh.

Go on-give it a go!!

RoyalRock-Stn Sports Prevention Officer