PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - COMPULSORY FITNESS FOR RAF
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2002, 18:27
BEagle

Received 278 Likes on 113 Posts
Back in the '70s I was a fully paid-up member of 'athletics anonymous' at Scampton - if anyone wanted to commit sport, they could phone us up and be talked into going to the pub instead.

Having, like most of my contemporaries, completed an unbroken series of flying tours to the age of err, quite ancient, and maintained A1G1Z1 until needing to wear corrective spectacles about 4 years ago, I haven't actually ever seen much essential need for so-called 'compulsory sport' amongst RAF aircrew - either you could do the job or you couldn't. If you were a total lardar$e, your peers and others would take the pi$$ to such an extent that you'd be shamed into doing something about it. But that's probably called 'harrassment' nowadays by the Thought Police.

But having to cover for a jockstrapper who's broken something or who has bug.gered off yet again to play with bouncy balls for the stn was always a problem. Good luck to those who do like to play competitive sport, of course, but for f*ck's sake don't expect everyone else to enjoy it! We only need to be fit enough to do our job - when we're forever strapped for cash (sounds like something enjoyed by Tory politicians!) why devote yet more time and funding for something that, to be totally honest, just isn't strictly essential. Fit enough for the annual PME is surely adequate - it certainly was for about the first 75 years of the RAF (and no, I don't have personal experience of all of them!)