PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - own navigation definition
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2007, 15:42
choclit runway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Further to my previous, quote from tp;

'It's very simple really, DIRECT XXX is just that. Own Nav is a standard intercept of track to XXX',

so by your definition, when you give the intruction '...own nav dct XXX' do you expect the pilot to fly directly to the standard intercept (30deg) point or straight to xxx. Your 'my last post' post doesn't clarify either.

I agree with 433 about unambiguous phraseolodgy which is why I don't use 'own nav dct'. I don't ever remember being taught to use it and I never will (unless all this is beautifully resolved) because imho it seems unclear and apparently so do many pilots. After radar headings '...resume own nav xxx'...', yes. '... route direct xxx...', yes. '...turn left/right dct xxx.', yes. '... own nav dct xxx', no.

I except that it is commonly used and rarely causes confusion but this thread is questioning its meaning and as yet it seems unresolved. The point is it COULD be interpreted incorrectly by a pilot and so needs to be addressed.

It would be interesting to see if, in general, ATCO's of certain nationalities use this phrase whilst other nationalities don't? Any comments?

Awaiting THE answer and more than happy to be enlightened.