PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - own navigation definition
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2007, 13:14
fourthreethree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fourthreethree may be jaw agape because others have the temerity to have a different interpretation of a bit of phraseology/procedure
Not at all. If you look into some of my previous threads you will see I am fully aware that some phraseology can be mis-understood, in fact I have had the "temerity" to ask pilots if they understand what I intend them to understand when I use what I consider to be un-ambiguous phraseology. I believe in safety first above all else.

Which is why I am amazed to see how people in my profession believe its fine for a pilot to fly however he pleases when he has been given a clearance direct to a navigation point. I had a scenario several years back when a pilot under this impression decided to turn to give his passengers a nice view of the coastline, and turned into an exersize area occupied by around twelve F-16's simulating air to air combat quite close to the airway. This is NOT ok!!!!

I am not disputing the intention of the initial post, the best way to get an answer to a question is to ask it. But the thread seems to have got lost in the definition of "own navigation" rather than the use of the word "direct".

"XYZ123 resume own navigation direct ABC" after XYZ123 was locked on a radar heading is a clearance, to deviate from that clearance requires approval from ATC.

TinPusher.....spot on.