PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Danny Woolf
Thread: Danny Woolf
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2001, 23:42
Steamhead

I Have been asked to post the following :-

Danny Woolf

“Southend Tower. Golf Victor Kilo clear of Runway 24, pausing at the 06 Holding Point. The pilot will now be Danny Woolf for a First Solo. Over.”
It was noon on Dec. 23rd. 1975, a bright clear day with a light SW wind and very light traffic. He taxied away, took off and returned to guide the blue and white Cherokee over the firm, yet bumpy grass outside Southend Light Aviation Centre; a very broad smile on his face said it all!
That was the beginning of the end of Danny’s days working hard on the London markets, selling tools. When times were hard financially we used to joke and say that the only people who could afford to fly were dentists and market traders! Danny, of course, disagreed emphatically!
In the Seventies there was much business to be had at both the Flying Club and the Airport in general. Danny progressed from a basic P.P.L. to add to his qualifications and follow the Assistant Flying Instructors’ Course. Despite being unable to gain a Night Rating due to his colour blindness he carried on undeterred to reach his ultimate goal – that of a Qualified Flying Instructor. As we all know, the C.A.A. has constantly moved the goal posts on the field of aviation, and when the regulations came in for all Instructors to have a Commercial Licence Danny was fearful because of his night restriction. However he worked hard to pass the necessary exams and was granted the (restricted) C.P.L. which he duly deserved.
We all know that the rungs of the ladder are not there merely to rest upon, but as a means of climbing higher. After a few years initially instructing a Seawing Flying Club, Danny returned to his old hunting ground. Southend Light Aviation Centre had long since become Southend Flying Club and it was as C.F.I. that Danny rejoined some familiar faces.
As the years passed Danny added more qualifications to his status, to include that of F.I.C. Instructor and finally Panel Examiner, for which he was in great demand on both single and twin-engined aircraft. He always claimed that he did not find studying easy and it is to his immense credit that he persevered, and thus spent many hours running Instructor Courses in his Warrior G-BOTF.
It was in his early days at the Club that he met Janet Lovegrove, who used to help in the Office on Saturdays-and the rest, as they say, is history! Danny married Janet and their union produced three lovely children of whom he was very proud – Ben, Sam and Kate. Danny valued a good education very highly, and with Janet, did his utmost to make sure that his family had a good start in life.
Danny’s main interests were flying, music and literature, and many a rainy Winter’s day when there was no flying we spent time discussing (not always in agreement!) the merits and such of certain literary figures. Poetry he loved, and far from the world of Betjeman and amongst all the verses we shared over the years I now think only of Kingsford Smith when he finally was parted from his aircraft, the Southern Cross:

“Old faithful friend – a long adieu.
These are poor words with which to tell
Of all my pride, my joy in you.
True to the end you served us well.”

Annie B