PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brand new... Old Yank metal -v- new plastic fantastic.
Old 27th Nov 2007, 13:17
JOE-FBS

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Being new to powered GA and having spent more than a decade in road vehicle powertrain design, I have been amused and I suppose slightly horrified, by engines with carburettors and hence manual mixture control, manual intake air temperature control, no knock control, etc. Are the current production products from Lycoming and Continental still like that? As far as I can tell from those companies' web sites, fuel injection, etc. are at best add-ons and possibly not available at all. Can anyone explain why, please? I know one has to have more reliability in an aircraft but the full authority electronic throttle in your BMW (including Mini) is going to kill you and probably several other people if it fails open so basically it doesn't! This is ten year old car technology and aircraft FADEC is much older (we were designing it into RB211 at RR in the eighties). I am old enough to have had cars with manual chokes but anyone under 30 in Europe and probably 40 in the US will never have heard of such things. How many forced landings are caused by using such ancient technology? Would modern systems reduce or increase this? I don't know the answer but I am, being a techie and a spotter as well as a student PPL, very curious.