PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sea King too old and putting Lives at risk.
Old 27th Nov 2007, 11:23
cyclic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally don't practice double PLB homings because I don't need to - go figure. I have seen civilian crews practice to more than one beacon as it is part of their contract. I was alluding to the fact that even if you practice double PLB homings, the chances of you being successful when IMC are slim because the kit doesn't work with the newer beacon. If I turned up at a RAF base and asked your Joe average pilot to demonstrate a double PLB homing in IMC to two successful pick ups, I reckon I would be on a safe bet to say they couldn't do it. Not skills, not practice but the one piece of kit you need for a double ejection over the sea, doesn't work. To me this is far, far more important.

My point is that there are always going to be inadequacies with SAR aircraft but some aspects are more important than others and the nose mounted radar doesn't present a huge problem. Having a working homer does. All the pilots are trained how to use the radar as it is part of everyday operations and not rocket science.