PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use Of AutoPilot in IMC
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2007, 10:32
hobbit1983
Professional Student

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
He's clearly talking about doing this in UK Class G, and as I said it's OK but it's going to be helluva hard work.
Most certainly yes - nowhere near the airways phase (yet)!

But still my point, the controllers were doing the work for you quite probably because you were a novelty and they were paying extra attention to making sure you did not knock an airbus out of the sky.
How so? I was in Class G, with a RIS, doing my own thing. I didn't even ask for a Luton Zone transit; they offered me a quick shortcut through, which I accepted.

When I fly into Gatwick I come off the airways with a STAR and then vectors, I have to find the plates for the arrival which is usually given to me by London control, I have to set up the Garmin for the arrival and the approach, write down the ATIS. Read the plates to make sure I know my platform heights and Missed Approach procedure, ensure I have the multitude of frequencies tuned in for approach tower ground etc.
If I was doing that kind of IFR flying I certainly accept that I'd probably not cope. Hence not doing it yet & building my experience!

That is not workload you want to be doing while hand flying trust me.
I wholeheartedly agree; presumably that will come later during my IR - but for now, given what I'm doing - "UK style IFR" in class G, it sounds as though an autopilot is not a necessity.