PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mega Merged: Qantas Long Haul Cabin Crew Eba8 Negotiations
Old 27th Nov 2007, 07:38
Pegasus747

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reality Check

There have been various scales in the Long Haul Cabin Crew area for many years now.

Bangkok, Auckland. London

In short haul they have crew that get bands pay and those that dont as well as MAM casuals who get no holiday pay, sick leave or job security.

In long haul we have had 1200 crew made redundant and a gradual transferring of our work to AKL, BKK, LHR and Short HAul as well as the MAM Casuals in the last few years.

Moral High ground is a nice place to be but it doesnt pay mortgages and school fees.

What the FAAA has done has tried to protect its existing members whilst creating Quality FULL TIME jobs in Australia rather than overseas or casual jobs with no security.

Sure the conditions of existing crew ( much of which from 1974) and no longer competitive are quarantined for us , but for those that would suggest a more moral approach are no looking down the barrel of anhilation through compulsory redundancy and tranfer of work to others.

I have total respect for pilots that have a significant marketable skill, however flight attendants have no major skill that other airlines will pick up and ANsett crew found out when it went belly up.

The FAAA and Long Haul crew have tried to make the best of a daunting situation. I for one would not like to see our jobs go the way of the manufacturing jobs in australia by clinging to notions of moral high ground whilst not being able to feed my kids and being made redundant or restructured to to lack of competitive productivity