PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lasek Eye Surgery
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2007, 22:49
Um... lifting...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wouldn't touch LASIK, LASEK, PRK (or any specific type of eye surgery) without consulting with a senior AME well versed in the specific aviation regulations pertinent to one's particular licensing authority prior to having it done to get the best available information on what is considered current and with the lowest risk. Even then, I'd consider good and hard before I had it done.

Life in the civ world is different than it was in the military world, but one must be careful to not DISqualify oneself from flying with the best of intentions. There are many types of eye surgery out there... radial keratotomy (ancient and obsolete), photorefractive keratectomy, LASIK, LASEK and other forms of corneal ablation, and who knows what else. Some have had good results for pilots, and some most assuredly have not. Be sure to do lots and lots of homework before letting anyone play around with your eyes. Also, there are enough (just a few, but in this case, just a few is too many) people on this board who are more concerned with giving what they think is a clever rather than a sensible response that I would give information from any anonymous source (to include myself) a real wide berth and consult an honest-to-goodness medical professional face-to-face. Here's a brief primer on what's out there. What is suitable for your situation will need to be determined by you in consultation with a good doctor.
http://www.allaboutvision.com/visionsurgery/other.htm
This is one case where it is far better to ask permission than to beg forgiveness.