PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ex Rex Pilots; Would you have stayed if....
Old 26th Nov 2007, 21:45
apache

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goodonyamate,

I think that we have ALL done this, and no one has said that it is "beneath them". The point being made is that whilst it has been common practice for many a year, the roster and turnaround times made it possible to do.

Nowadays, the turnaround times are extremely tight, the pilots are working more and more, and the help being given them is less and less. Whereas in the past it was no problem to do this as the schedule had time to allow for this, now they roster you the MINIMUM time to turnaround an aircraft. In that time you are also supposed to SWAP aircraft and do an entire preflight on the new one, which could be 2km away from where you are parked. There is NO transport specifically provided for this (you have to try to negotiate some), and then when you run late, they ring you on your one day off to berate you for being 3 mins late!!!!!
OR... if you try to speed things up to help with on time performance, and you try to combine a few routine actions, then you are hauled over the coals for not following SOP's .... even though the SOP's contradict themselves in two or three places, and you HAVE followed the SOPs in one book. when you point this out you get told "DON'T be a F**king smarta%se " (yes... sworn at!!!)

A lot of the time, when you are rostered a break, they also throw in an aircraft change - which means that you can work for 8 hours without a break, and no food provided. IF you say "no, I am going to HAVE my break" then all hell breaks loose....

Add to the fact that most new employees in admin/clerical roles are now singaporean, with no regard for the employee, but an inbuilt sense of deferral to management then the help to the employee becomes less. There was a case where an F/A wanted to move to a check in role. She was told "I will interview you, but you won't get the job because KLH has TOLD me that I must employ this (singaporean) girl. If I do not employ her in the vacant check in position, then I must employ her elsewhere.... ie supernumery, and it comes out of my budget"

As I said before though, when things run smoothly - and a few years ago as well, it was / is a GREAT place to work. As soon as the screws got tightened, then it became less enjoyable.