PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod Information
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2007, 07:59
Safety_Helmut
Registered User **

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Nimrod has one of the best safety records of all aircraft , until recent events.
The number of times I heard those same words trotted out by those within the Nimrod IPT at Wyton. If you're reading this you know who you are, we discussed it many times. Think about these though:
Bomb bay flare fire - Aircraft landed at St Mawgan, (tail number ?). Accepted that had this happened further from base it would have resulted in disaster.
XW666 - Ditched in Moray Firth - had this happened on a normal Op sortie, with full crew and kit installed and more than a few miles from shore, this too would have resulted in disaster.
So, two total losses averted by luck ! Of course you could argue that the crews were unlcuky in the first place. The bomb bay fire incident I know little about. But XW666 could and should have been avoided. The failure mode had been identified through previous incidents about 10 years previous. Recommendations were made, and not completely followed up. Those responsible for that...............what happened to them ? Please, do not come on here talking about the Nimrod's excellent safety record.

As for the bathtub curve. First consider the indiividual critical systems before considering the whole aircraft. Most of them certainly are in the "end of life/wear out phase". It is patently obviosu that not enough is being spent to maintain them. Collectively this is a very worrying situation ! I don't imagine for one moment that it is any better on the other fleets either.

As for this MD:

If they find something wrong I can assure you they will do every single thing required to make these aircraft fit to use, that im 100% certain of and have solid faith in the Military to provide this.
As someone else has suggested, probably best to lay off the cider. Becuase this attitude is not borne out by action and evidence. The exact opposite I would suggest.

S_H