PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod Information
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2007, 06:46
Winco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HoB

I would agree with a lot of what you have written but would not agree about the fact the aircraft is old. The very fact that it is old is what is making it a less reliable aircraft (airframe wise) and that, coupled with what you rightly say is a lack of funds, is the main cause of the problems.
I'm also not sure the groundcrew will agree with you that they are just 'patching things up' but you may well be correct. The fact is that they are doing the very best they can with what they have.

Likewise, the problem is not unique to the Nimrod fleet. The E-3 fleet is in an appalling state, with many of the frames 'long term' u/s. Perhaps the only mitigating factor there is the fact that we flew about 20 years worth of life out of the jets in the first 8 or so years service at Aviano covering the Balkans wars.

Your point about the government and lack of funding is spot on I'm afraid, and this rate, we will be lucky to even have an Air Force soon! (apart from a nice fleet of Typhoons of course, that will save the world for us I'm certain!)