PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Obese passenger wins case
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2007, 03:14
vanderaj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1) seat select for a specific seat (say $5)
2) premium for extra legroom (e.g. exit isle for $25)
3) guaranteed empty middle seat (25%-40% of ticket price depending on load factors ie sell it at the cheapest % on offpeak flights)
4) preference for empty middle seat if there are empty eats on plane ($25- but only billed if an empty seat is available)
I buy premium economy (which I fit just fine in, btw) or J class as often as I can. I upgrade as often as I can, which considering the carriers I choose, should be more often than I am able to at the moment. I'm happy with that choice. I don't need any other choices.

If a LCC, such as Southwest, wishes me to travel on their pretty new planes, they have to do more than allow me to have a spare seat next to me. I like premium economy for the extra pitch and width and lack of seatbelt extension. I like the fact I can get the tray table down and get some work done or eat without holding food in my hands.

If you're a LCC who is known to embarrass and humiliate on whether or not the ground staff or CC got out of bed the wrong way today (Southwest is not consistent at applying their policy - I flew with them to Vegas in 2006 and was not hassled, but fretted the entire time until the door closed and we rotated), then I will simply take my business elsewhere, some airline that I know has a suitable seat, a seat that makes me comfortable. Flying is a major part of my life, and I try as hard as I can to avoid discomfort for me as much as I can.

Simple no?

If there's no option, say for example, all carriers go single class, then we're stuffed. If I have no choice, you have no choice. I shouldn't be penalized for the cabin arrangements dictated by money hungry carriers. This also goes for old school carriers who put on toy planes like the CRJs and Embraers (no offense to drivers of these fine a/c, but you have to admit they're small) on significant routes to some of the busiest airports in the world.

At my current rate, I will be around BMI 25 in early to mid 2009, but I will still remember Southwest's discriminatory policy for my entire life, and never travel on them. I've influenced many in my company not to take them, and I know that due to me, I've probably pulled the better part of a million dollars of airfares this year alone they could have had if they'd had J class or a premium economy and most of all - no discriminatory policy. It's too late for Southwest.

Andrew