PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stop the Air Corps - I want to get off!
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2002, 22:36
ChristopherRobin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Stop the Air Corps - I want to get off!

Hi chaps! Well it has finally come to the point where I can take no more, d'you hear?

Having realised that there is nothing more to look forward to in the AAC than staff job after staff job I have belatedly decided that the RAF is the place for me. No promotion and plenty of flying sounds like a fair deal to me. What have we got as an alternative in the Army Air Corps?

Well it's this: The Director faces pressure because he has staff jobs to fill. No jollies for anyone, because if he can't fill the aviation staff jobs, then there's no way you'll be let go for any other type of job (e.g. MA to Washington springs to mind - sigh)

He has stated at the Captains' Info day that the AAC needs to have as many of its chaps promoted to General as possible to look after the corps, much in keeping with the rest of the army.

Working back from this, the only people who will get to be Generals are staff college guys and good luck to them. But a future AAC General would find it beneficial to have had experience on Apache. Therefore to get on Apache as the OC Sqn, you'll have to go to staff college.

B%gger.

So basically that's me out - no problem, but if there is anyone out there who has transferred from AAC to RAF could they please let me know if:

a- the capbadge transfer timebar stops you from transferring to the RAF, or is it just to stop you leaving the Army?

and

b- When you announce your intention does your flying pay take a hit as it does when one PVR's?

And in a rhetorical sense can anyone answer me this:

- If the AAC is swamped by applications from Officer Cadets yet 35% undermanned in the Captain's bracket, then why has nobody noticed that this shows a strong correlation with when people start doing jobs that make sticking hot needles into your eyes seem more attractive?

I think we should be told.

But if anyone has any advice or help to give then I'd be very glad to hear it.

RAF here I come - hopefully.. .May the Lord have Mercy on my soul.

[ 20 February 2002: Message edited by: ChristopherRobin ]</p>