PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Co-Pilot arrested, allegedly over alcohol limit. No case to answer.
Old 25th Nov 2007, 07:37
Daysleeper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is wrong, and the current situation, where any allegations causing stress and disruption to individuals, companies, crew and passengers can be made maliciously without any comeback has to be looked at. It has happenned already in the UK as discussed previously.

People who have genuine concerns should be able to report them to the police without fear of the consequences. The police officers are the ones who decide what action to take. I personally have reported someone for driving a car while I thought they were drunk.

It is what happens next that concerns me, as I said before there appears to be an issue that police officers responding to this sort of report seem "obliged" to test people using equipment that generates an unacceptably high level of false positives. This results in the mass of tabloid hysteria and the trashing of reputations and probably careers before the blood test turns out to have no alcohol.

I notice that very few media have this story while loads are covering the BA cabin crew one.... which sells more advertising.