PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying is danagerous - a risk assessment - comments please
Old 24th Nov 2007, 20:24
Contacttower
Fly Conventional Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You've nailed it there. It's either Freakonomics or the Undercover Economist, I forget which, but in one of those books exactly that statistical analysis is done.
I can't remember any specific reference to flying vs. driving in Freakonomics, although it's a long time since I read the book so I may have forgotten. It's a great book anyway (apparently though the claim he makes about the effect of legalising abortion in the US on crime levels is rather dubious).

I remarked the other week whilst making a pigs ear of a landing in a PA-28 that it was a good job I wasn't flying a taildragger. It would have bitten me for sure. Aeros and taildragging (maybe even at the same time) second on my list of must do's after gettting the PPL. (lots of thumby thingies)
May I tentatively suggest a good book on taildraggers: The Compleat Taildragger Pilot by Harvey S. Plourde. Written by one of 'old school' US instructors its full of practical method and advice on flying conventional gear.