PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Obese passenger wins case
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2007, 19:50
vanderaj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here we go again.

Please tell me how someone such as this person would allow the plane to be vacated in the maximum allowable time in an emergency?
I hope you remember typing that into the keyboard when you're old and infirm and need someone's help to even walk. My wife needs a wheelchair about half the time we fly, and she's 32.

Go f#$@ yourself.

I've had to fly on ever increasingly small seat pitches and seat widths. Back when I was a lad, the planes on major routes were 737's and 767's where you could easily "squeeze" even in the window seat.

I now have to regularly travel on wind up rubber band "planes" like the CRJ 140. That plane is so small that you have divest Mr Laptop of its outer sheath to fit in the "overhead" baggage compartment. Forget travelling with a small overnight case - that is too big for this modern plane.

LCC are causing most of the problems - see Southwest's policy as below. That's why I refuse to travel on them. As I don't know if any capricious and offensive folks like yourself will be there.

I weigh a bit due to diabetes. My weight is all out the front. I never have a hard time fitting into the narrow 17" seats of the CRJ. But I always need a seat belt extender due to my girth. I do NOT need a seat belt extender on the A320, A330, 747's, 777, and older 767's. I need them on all CRJs, the Embrarers, 757's, and the new gen 737's. For some reason, they have shorter straps as they expect midgets to fly on them.

What about the gentlemen who work out and are really HUGE. I once had to sit next to a Muscle Mary who I am sure made his partner(s) very happy. But he was impossible to sit next to. Unlike me, there was zero give - he was all hard muscle. He was broad across the chest and shoulders, and he had huge thighs. He probably had a 32" waist and a BMI in the low teens. He spread into my seat in a way I never spread into other's seats.

Would you discriminate against him? I thought not.

I pay for premium economy and try to upgrade to first as often as I can, but with the move to LLC with one class travel, and even the old carriers moving to tiny and uncomfortable regional jets, that is becoming harder and harder to do. If I have no choice, you have no choice. Put up with it.

This decision was about the way they humiliated the passenger. I'm sure all
the posters so far in this thread would be at the top of the line saying "hey, fatso, come here, we need to measure you". That's what this is about. Treating passengers with respect rather than just self-loading freight with a "CAUTION - WIDE LOAD" sticker on our foreheads.

Andrew