PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying is danagerous - a risk assessment - comments please
Old 24th Nov 2007, 18:27
ChampChump

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having bitten CT's head off earlier, but ever so gently (although I didn't put the thumb up as I thought it wasn't necessary but some sort of smiley-thingy proabably was, with hindsight), I've kept fairly quiet but followed the thread with interest.

CT admits his choice of words wasn't as well chosen as ppruners allow. In a pub, we'd have thrashed that bit out over the first pint and moved on.

What most of us seem to agree on now is that for those whose training is in tricycle geared aircraft, conventional gear seems to convey anything from another useful addition in the private pilot repertoire to a part of the aviation chart marked Here Be Dragons. Well, there are dragons all over the chart. Gotchas abound, in any aircraft, with any rating, in any weather.

I repeat: people make accidents. With decent training, from those decently experienced on type, we can reduce risk. If we accept we know less than we thought we did, try to take nothing for granted and still have fun, it's a risk worth taking.

And I don't think statistics prove a damned thing, either way.