PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ICAO Language Proficiency Tests
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2007, 15:29
richatom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seriously though, if I undrstand the UK CAA's double-speak, they are intending to 'grant' Level 4 ICAO to all UK FRTOL holders. I consider this an insult and I do not support the CAA's proposals as they currently stand.

I consider that native English speakers who hold FRTOLs should be entitled to make a self-declaration of Level 6 proficiency, with the usual penalties for false declaration.

Beagle, you have a good point there, and there is already a precedent here in France. The DGAC have stated that anybody who holds a DGAC CPL will be awarded level 6 ICAO French - and that is without taking any form of r/t test in French. I think therefore it is entirely reasonable that CAA FRTOL licence holders be given level 6 in English - especially as they will have actually had to take an r/t test to get the FRTOL.

The French precedent actually goes a little too far the other way. I am not a native French speaker but I did my training in France and hold a DGAC fATPL. Despite having done my CPL and IR tests with English r/t, I have been awarded level 6 French by the DGAC! Even more stupidly, they will not recognise my CAA FRTOL as even being equivalent to FCL1.200, and they insist that I take the ICAO English test!